Many of you have already stored your Sea-Doo for the winter, or are in the process of storing your Sea-Doo. A very important aspect of winterization is battery maintenance. Proper storage techniques can be make the difference between a dead battery or a battery that roars to life after a long winter’s slumber.
Reasons for keeping a constant charge
- It keeps the battery from being depleted from non-use.
- Help maintain battery life
- Battery is ready when you go to de-winterize your Sea-Doo watercraft.
- Phillips head screwdriver, Flat head screw driver or 10mm nut driver
- Trickle Charger (Sea-Doo carries the Yuasa smart shot automatic battery charger, part # 529035773. See your local dealer for details)
- Never charge or boost battery while installed in the watercraft
- Always charge a battery in a well vented room
- Always make sure trickle charger or battery charger is unplugged before connecting charger cables or before removing charger cables.
1. Locate the battery in your Sea-Doo watercraft.
2. Next take a look at the bolts that secure your battery cables to the battery and determine what tool must be used to remove the cables.
3. Be sure to remove the negative (-) black cable first and make sure it does not come in contact with the battery or any other grounding component (such as any exposed hardware) during the next steps.
4. Remove the positive (+) red cable from the battery.
5. Disconnect the vent hose from battery.
6. Install a piece of hose (same type as vent hose) with a cap or a small hose pincher onto the battery to prevent electrolyte spillage when removing the battery.
7. Remove any straps or brackets that may be securing the battery into the battery tray.
8. Remove the battery and place it on a workbench or something comparable. Be sure to place it out of the reach of children.
9. Make sure your trickle charger is unplugged and then connect the charger to the battery, making sure the positive (+) red cable is hooked up to the positive end on the battery and the negative (-) black cable is hooked up to the negative end of the battery.
Additional instructions – If the battery terminals seem to have corrosion or rust of any sort, use a wire brush to remove before connecting to the charger.
The best way to maintain proper battery life is to keep a constant charge, so keep up on your battery maintenance to maintain that showroom like quality all year round.