Texas is BIG. Texas is the second largest state in the US and everything about Texas is big, from the population of 24.3 million to the sheer landmass of the state—all 268,820 square miles of it. The top three cities: Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are three of the top ten most populous cities in the US. Austin and Fort Worth round out the list of the top cities in Texas.
Due to the size and diversity of Texas, the state has a lot to offer watersports enthusiasts! Whether you prefer cruising down a river in your pontoon boat, cutting through the waves on your Sea-Doo PWC or jetting across the lake on your Sea-Doo boat, Texas has something for everyone.
Due to the size of Texas, we will highlight a few of the most popular cities for recreational boating: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Houston.
Boating in Dallas
Dallas is one of the most popular destinations in the entire state of Texas. Some of the most popular destinations in Dallas Fort Worth are the Sixth Floor Museum, where visitors can learn all about the JFK assassination; learn about western history at Fort Worth’s Stockyards National Historic District; the Dallas Arts District and much more. Dallas also has a lot to offer Sea-Doo boat and PWC watersport enthusiasts! Dallas is surrounded by lakes that will entice even the most discriminating boaters.
Watersports enthusiasts will enjoy Lake Lewisville, one of Texas’s busiest lakes. Located about 25 miles north of downtown Dallas, Lake Lewisville is over 29,000 acres and has 187 miles of shoreline. Lake Lewisville has a reputation of being dangerous-so please be alert when visiting this lake. The lake has campgrounds with sites on the water, lake-side restaurants, a large party cove and offers Sea-Doo boaters and PWC riders an excellent place for boating, swimming, fishing, wakeskating and waterskiing.
Lake Grapevine is located approximately 20 miles northwest of Dallas/Fort Worth and is a 8,000-acre recreational lake perfect for boating, wakeskating as well as all watersports. With 146 miles of shoreline, more than 9 miles of wilderness trails, three marinas and approximately 1400 moorings, this lake has something for everyone in the family.
Cedar Creek Lake is about 65 miles south east of Dallas and is the 7th largest lake in Texas with over 32,000 acres and is 18 miles long. The average depth of Cedar Creek Lake is 53 feet. Cedar Creek has a number of large coves, primarily on the east side, that are excellent for jet boating, waterskiing, swimming, or fishing.
Sea-Doo dealers in Dallas:
- Richardson Motor Sports, 408 S. Central Expressway, Richardson, TX 75080, (972) 231-4833
- Jerry Whittle Boats, Inc., 1700 N. 35 E., Lewisville, TX 75067, (972) 221-7070
- Cowtown Power Sports, 4808 S.E. Loop 820, Fort Worth, TX 76140, (817) 483-0855
- Motion Cyclesports Of Dallas, 9938 Plano Rd., Dallas, TX 75238, (214) 503-6262
- Kawasaki City Of Dallas, 3430 N. BECKLEY LANCASTER TX US 75134, (972) 228-3772
- North Texas Yamaha, 2301 N. Stemmons Freeway, Lewisville, TX 75077, (972) 420-4000
- Ft. Worth Motorsports, 5717 Airport Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76117, (817) 834-7185
- I -45 Sales, 2700 S. McKinney, Rice, TX 75155, (903) 326-5802
- Louis Powersports, 6309 Interstate 30, Greenville, TX 75402, (903) 454-4440
Boating in Houston
Visitors to Houston will want to get beyond the beltway and experience Houston by the water. The city of Houston is surrounded by waterways and lakes that offer a phenomenal boating lifestyle. Whether your style is cruising lazily with friends on pontoon boat or racing around the lake on a Sea-Doo boat or PWC, Houston has a lake for you!
Lake Conroe is just a short drive from Houston and is one of the busiest lakes in the state for recreational boating. Lake Conroe is 21,000 and approximately 21 miles long. Lake Conroe offers a wide variety of coves, waterfront campsites, cruising, restaurants and bars. There are hundreds of coves excellent for skiing, wake skating and swimming.
The City of Seabrook has eleven miles of waterfront and the Clear Lake area is the third largest boating center in the United States, with 1,250 boat slips. A major attraction to docking your boat in Seabrook is direct access to Galveston Bay. In five minutes you can sail from a sheltered berth to open waters. The Seabrook Bay Area offers a full complement of watersports and boating activities ranging from sailboats, pontoon boats, Sea-Doo boats and PWC and more.
Cruise from Seabrook to Galveston Bay to enjoy the Gulf of Mexico or cruise around the Bay or Offatts Bayou. Galveston Bay offers recreational boaters some of the best boating in Texas! Surfers, waterskiers, wakeboarders—you will find them all enjoying the sea breezes and warm waters of Galveston Bay.
Sea-Doo dealers in Houston:
- Team Mancuso Powersports Gulf Freeway, 10222 Gulf Freeway, St. A, Houston, TX 77034, (281) 486-4604
- Wild West Honda, 22515 Katy Freeway, Katy, TX 77450, (281) 392-8850
- Team Mancuso Powersports Southwest, 7250 Southwest Freeway, Houston, TX 77074, (409) 938-4820
- Northwest Honda, 10102 North Freeway, Houston, TX 77037, (281) 447-3476
- Gene’s Polaris Country, Inc., 12525 I – 10 E., Baytown, TX 77523, (281) 385-5888
- Team Mancuso Powersports South, 4525 Gulf Freeway, Lamarque, TX 77568, (409) 938-4820
- Pro Powersports of Conroe, 13895 Highway 105, West Conroe, TX 77034, (936) 588-1970
Boating in San Antonio
“Remember the Alamo!” and make sure you visit the Alamo when heading to San Antonio. The old mission “The Alamo” and the San Antonio River Walk are popular tourist attractions in this historical Texas city. After enjoying the San Antonio tourist attractions, watersports enthusiasts will want to head to one of the nearby lakes to enjoy all that San Antonio has to offer.
Calaveras Lake is a reservoir on Calaveras Creek and is located 20 miles southeast of downtown San Antonio. Calaveras Lake is 3,624 acres and offers fishing, boating and numerous watersport activities. Calaveras Lake is one of Texas’ premier Bass lakes, so plan to take a rod and reel along when you head out to this busy lake.
Lake Amistad is a boater’s paradise. With approximately 70,000 surface acres of water and excellent year-around weather, water enthusiasts flock to Lake Amistad! Houseboats, jet boats, pontoon boats, sail boats, and PWCs are common sights the lake. Located near the border town of Del Rio, Lake Amistad was formed when the Rio Grande was dammed in 1969.
Nestled among steep and wooded hills, Canyon Lake is commonly referred to as the ‘watersports capitol of Texas’ and is located on the rim of the Texas Hill Country. Formed by damming the cool, clear waters of the Guadalupe, Canyon Lake is 8,308 acres is a favorite among boaters, fisherman, jet skiers and wake skaters. Canyon Lake is one of the most scenic lakes in Texas and features eight public parks with amenities for watersports and camping.
Sea-Doo Dealers in San Antonio
- Joe Harrison Motorsports, 15664 IH-35, North Selma, TX 78154, (210) 655-2625
- South Texas Suzuki, 20260 IH 35, South Lytle, TX 78052, (830) 799-4400
- Woods Cycle Country, 1933 N. Interstate 25, New Braunfels, TX 78130, (830) 606-9828
Boating in Austin
Boating Magazine named Austin, Texas one of the Top 10 places to live and boat in the US…and we agree! Austin has a creative cultural atmosphere and an excellent outdoor lifestyle. The most popular lakes in Austin are within a short driving distance to the city: Lake Austin and Lake Travis.
DiscoverBoating.com named Lake Austin the #2 boating destination in the US. Lake Austin is a wakeboarding and waterskiing Mecca. The scenic high cliffs of Lake Austin provide shelter from the wind and create ideal boating conditions. Along with excellent conditions for boating and riding PWC, Lake Austin boasts numerous restaurants offering the ability to dock and enjoy live entertainment.
Lake Travis is the second most popular lake in the Austin region. Lake Travis is more than 60 miles long and winds through the scenic Texas Hill Country. At the widest point the lake is 4.5 miles wide and has 270 miles of shoreline. Lake Travis provides numerous watersport options including Sea-Doo jet boating, pontoon boating, swimming, fishing, wakeboarding and other family watersport activities.
At the time of this article, all public boat ramps were closed on Lake Travis due to severe drought conditions in Texas. Ensure you check on the lake conditions prior to travelling to Lake Travis.
Sea-Doo dealers in Austin
- Highland Lakes Watercraft, Inc., 111 Polk St., Kingsland, TX 78639, (325) 388-4321
- South Austin Marine II, 5340 Hwy. 290 W., Austin, TX 78735, (512) 892-2432
- Woods Fun Center, Inc., 11405 IH 35, North Austin, TX 78753, (512) 459-3311
- Central Texas Powersports, 2534 N. Austin Ave., Georgetown, TX 78626, (512) 948-9922
- Woods Cycle Country, 1933 N. Interstate 35, New Braunfels, TX 78130, (830) 606-9828